- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 3 (14-15oz) Diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 cup pitted and sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/8 cup drained capers
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tsp Kosher salt
- ½ Tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh curly-leaf parsley (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 1/2 lb. dried penne pasta
- Parmesan cheese to serve
In a large pot boil enough water to cook 1 ½ lbs of penne. Bring to a boil and season with salt. Cook the penne al dente and drain.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté for 5-10 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. In the same saucepan add the three cans of diced tomatoes with their juices, Kalamata olives, drained capers, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and parsley. Stir and simmer so the tomatoes are tender and start to break down. Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Add the puttanesca sauce to the drained the pasta, transfer to a large bowl and garnish with parsley.
Serve with shredded parmesan cheese.
Cooking time (duration): 40 minutes
Copyright © Copyright andicakes 2010.
Recipe by yumm yumm yumm.
Microformatting by hRecipe.